Monday, September 19, 2005

Oasis in my Desert


"I've got to admit it's getting better,
It gets a little better all the time"
-The Beatles


Since I got home early today and had the day off, I decided to make the most of it. I had a leisurely pancake breakfast in the kitchen downstairs (the pancakes here are strange, more info to come soon) with friends, I washed my clothes by hand, also with friends and my iPod playing Western music on some speakers.

Adrienne, who had spent the last week with bona-fide malaria, wanted to pay back all of the people who took care of her by getting some lovely and rare Western goods and brought me along downtown to a beautiful oasis in the desert of Africa: Koala Market.

Picture a nice little grocery store that has every fruit you could possibly need in the world, candies of all sorts, a bakery, cheese and ice cream. Then picture another floor on top of that which sold lovely kitchen goods, appliances, tvs, stereos and knick-knacks - and there you have Koala Market, the haven of the obruni.

I think about half of the people there were white and the rest were wealthy Ghanaians. The prices were about the same as in Canada or the US, but the poverty curve is just that much greater that not many could afford it on a regular basis, save for diplomatic workers and the business elite. They even had real ground coffee (the only time I've seen it in a month here) and delicious pastries served in a cafe, for about $3US! It was fantastic and I hope that I can go back there again in a little while for some specialty groceries and comfort food.

Apres, I went to the Balme Library to study for the rest of the afternoon and got a fair bit of work done. Methinks I should spend a lot more time there, since I really haven't been doing much reading and haven't done any schoolwork. The library system is a joke here, compared to Carleton's, but like with many things here you just gotta roll with the punches. Everybody needs a system to get through life and me being here in Ghana is no different. Once I can get one going, life will be a lot better here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Methinks that it is a capital idea that you spend more time at the library, reading and doing more schoolwork as well! What is this little junket you are on all about anyway?

Y.M.

Anonymous said...

Hey buddy, I love you and havnt forgotten about you. I have been busy getting into the whole school thing, which has so far been fucking kick ass ! We shall party again soon buddy! Im glad your healthy and having wonderous adventures in the foreign land. I hope our bring home some of that Ghanaian brew! lol hahaha. Yo ! I also found in my Astronomy class that you will be perfectly placed to see the Solar eclipse March 29th 2006. You should check that out! Peace man! - Rick

Mr. Obruni said...

Rick: We'll get a solar eclipse? Bitchin'! I hope U of T is treating you well... university days are some of the best, so milk it for all it's worth!