Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Will someone please turn down the Snoop Dogg in the internet cafe?

This morning I realized that I'm riding a high off my Arabic class.

We've gotten past the letters and accents and now we're putting words together and I think I'm doing pretty well, because whenever the professor asks me to read anything (which is often, since everyone knows my name), I get it! So I'm pretty stoked about it. I'll be taking it for the entire trip, but I'm going to see if perhaps the University of Ottawa offers Arabic courses, so that I could build upon what I'm learning now. I'd love to have a basic working command of the language (and in Ottawa, where there's a shawarma or falafel place on every block, that could be useful!), but we'll see...

Also, I sat in on my first Globalization and Society. It's taught by an angry African feminist, which is a rarity in this country. It's exactly the kind of class that I'm looking for: something that I've learned from a Western perspective and now something that I'm seeing from the African point of view, shattering many of my misconceptions. In Ghana, globalization hasn't been about McDonalds and prosperity and sunshine for all, (in fact, I have yet to see a McDonalds in Ghana) so you really get a feel for what's going on at the other end of the stick. So us white folks try and sit in the class without feeling like Satan. Ah well, such is life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well just so you know, there is in fact a arabic courses offered at ottawa u. one of my friends are taking a bacchelors in modern language and majoring in arabic :)