Sunday, October 23, 2005

Drunken Obruni Kareoke Party!

Last night I went with some friends to Asasse Pa, the best and cheapest vegetarian restaurant in Accra. It's run by Ratafarians and we go there pretty much every week (some even more). They've got veggie burgers, crazy apple salads, tofu kebabs and soy ice cream - and it's all delicious. All of the Carleton girls are vegetarian/vegan back home and I think they're trying to indoctrinate me. (and frankly, it's working!) It's also right next to a bar, which is just fine by us.

After dinner, we went for coffee at the Paloma Hotel. If you know where to get it, there's delicious brewed coffee to be found in Accra, but it's so hard to find. There aren't many people who can afford real coffee and so the vast majority is a crystal mix made by Nescafé, which is pretty dull. I've also been getting a taste for good coffee since I got here. Anyways, we met a UN worker from India named Jay, who had some great stories and bought us a round and some fries to boot.

Then we entered the lion's den: The British-owned and mostly-white Champs Bar. It's all decked out in sports banners and jerseys and Friday nights is the night of the fine Japanese art of karaeoke. After more new friends and more free drinks, I went up with the girls to sing "Breakfast at Tiffany's", asking everyone what their favourite movies were. Later on, I went up with my British metalhead-friend Festus and we moshed out Green Day's "American Idiot". I went pretty nuts and my neck still hurts. Next time, we'll own that place. Totally.

PS - yes Dave and Jeff, at this place, you can sing "Africa" by Toto.

No comments: