Friday, October 07, 2005

Oasis In My Desert pt. 2

While I did go to the Koala Market today for the first time in two weeks (bought: "New African" magazine, butter, pita bread, Aunt Jemima pancake mix and syrup: all for about $10), the big event was this evening at the Canadian High Commission...

In an attempt to find out if they were going to celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving on Monday, I called the High Commission (embassy in a country of the British Commonwealth) and asked what events were going on these days. They said that tonight (the first Thursday of every month) there would be a "Canada Club" party, open basically to anyone. Sweet.

We got there in the evening and the security guards (Ghanaian) were happy to let us in. The CHC is pretty well-funded, so there are lovely gardens, a tennis court, a pool, patio furniture, stereo and even foosball table. Tonight, they were barbecuing burgers and hot dogs. And it's been damn near two months since I had a hamburger. It was overpriced (as a taxpaying citizen, shouldn't I get my burgers for free?), but it was sooo good.

There were many Canadians of there from many walks of life (diplomats, students, NGO workers, businesspeople) who had been in the country from a week to two years - and even some Americans, Brits and Germans. We met two Army advisors from the US assisting the Ghanaian Armed Forces (yes, they're legit) and we're going to make Mexican food with them sometime very soon.

The moral of the story: When travelling, check out your local embassy for events. We had a great time and even though there's nothing going on for Thanksgiving, I'm glad we went.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought Ghana was a republic now?

Oh man, as the kids say, I heart diplomatic functions. Live it up man, I know I would.

Sorry about the lack of contact, I've had a rather interesting week myself. (nowhere near as exciting unfortuately). I'll talk to you soon!

- GK

Mr. Obruni said...

You raise a good point... Ghana isn't big on Britain these days (unless you've got a work visa for them, then in a flash they'll get all "tea and biscuits" with you), but it's still part of the Commonwealth. It's only the crazy ones like Zimbabwe, apartheid South Africa and Sani Abacha's Nigeria that actually get the boot.

Next time, I'm going to eat TWICE as many peanuts and chips. They were Lay's, by the way.

Can't wait to hear from ya. Drop me an e-mail or postcard and I'll return the favour.