Friday, November 11, 2005

A New Hope For Liberia?

This just in...

Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf has just been elected as President of Liberia. This makes her the first female president in African History! While I don't know how the country will react to the news, or if she will effectively govern the war-torn country (which is just getting out of 15 years of brutal military rule), I believe that this is good news for the country. Especially considering her opponent was 39-year old George Weah who, while perhaps being Africa's greatest footballer, never finished high school and probably has no idea of how to run a country.

When I think of the people I met at the Liberian refugee camp who have been waiting their whole lives for peace and prosperity in their home country, I am hopeful that they will be able to return to their homes and continue their past lives, or start over altogether. What will the future hold for Liberia? I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read that too, and thought of you. It's sort of worrying that the rebel leaders are supporting Weah, but the apparent lack of violence is encouraging.

Tories notes:
-Peter didn't play us this week after all, but he e-mailed me to apologize and assured me that he'd get to it next week.
- I've secured another convert; My friend Shaun loves us, and apparently he's been spreading the word of mouth. He's good at all that networking jazz too, so more power to him.
- I got an awesome Flaming-Lipsy melody in my head today. The way these things go, it could just be a Flaming Lips song, but I'll keep up illusions for now.

- GK