Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Heathrow or Deathrow

I've had enough
I'm jumping on a plane to get to you
It's all arranged

I've only got one bag it's packed
My passports been re-newed
It's all arranged

-The Dears


For almost four whole months, I spent many of my evenings sitting out on the balcony of my room, watching planes take off and land at the airport, always thinking "Someday, that'll be me". Finally on Friday, it was me. I said my goodbyes to Meaghan, Hilde and Leila, three of the best friends I made last semester and went off to wait for my flight. Like them, I felt like I was actually going home...

I took the brand new Ghana International Airways overnight, which didn't disappoint with inflight meals and free drinks (a tea and brandy put me to sleep). By 6AM, we had landed at Gatwick Airport outside of London. I walked out on to to the tarmac in shorts and a t-shirt and the cold winter air woke me up - I didn't feel chilly, but refreshed to feel such cold air that hadn't been conditioned, for the first time in about 10 months! It was wonderful.

My next task was to get my bags and get on over to Heathrow where Maleaha would be landing at 9:20AM (thanks be to God for flight delays). I hopped on a coach shuttle and spent most of the 1 hour journey down the country highway excited/anxious/mesmerized by where I was going and what I was doing. The English countryside at sunrise was a sight to behold...

I got to the waiting area in good time and was there to see Maleaha walk in and she found me easily - like a limo service, I was holding up a sign that read "SWEETNESS". I was so happy, I was on the verge of crying. It was such a wonderful feeling to finally have her back in my arms again. Just like "Love Actually", indeed!

No comments: