Sunday, March 05, 2006

The Name Game

A curious thing occurred at my birthday party during the "Champs" leg of the tour: One of the bartenders stopped me and said, "Hey, you're Mr. Obruni, right? Do you remember me? You used to come into my old work at Pizza Inn on Terrific Tuesdays!"

I was totally floored. I knew that many obrunis came into Pizza Inn, but I had no idea that he remembered who I was. After coming back from my travels, I've noticed that a lot of people seem to know me, especially on a first-name basis. My problem is that I can't remember anyone's name for the life of me, usually just faces. It's not just a problem for me in Ghana, but back home too. Names always seem to come last.

This brings us to one of life's little important lessons: Always remember people's names. From the people you work with to the guy who always serves you coffee in the morning, because you never know when they'll know YOUR name.

No comments: