Tuesday, March 21, 2006

"Roughing It" in Africa

As much as I like to consider myself half a world away from home, the reality is that we at Legon are probably the most connected to home of any group that's gone away.

Consider this: I have internet access, which I use daily, which allows me to e-mail and chat with friends. I also get the same international news that I get at home and I can even keep up to date with music, movies, etc. I talk to Maleaha almost every day. If I have the time, I can upload photos for all to see and at some places in Accra, I can even use a webcam. Also, I have a cell phone that, while too expensive to make international calls, allows me to receive them from my parents, who call often.

Looking back five years, there might have been slow, but moderately reliable internet access on campus, although probably not in the hostel. Phone calls would be much trickier - and there wouldn't have been cell phones here anyways, since they've exploded just recently in Africa. Landlines are really only for businesses.

Looking back ten years, there would be no internet, calls would have been ridiculously expensive and the primary mode of communication would probably be by air mail. Even two years ago, I probably wouldn't have had an online journal to write in.

All things considered, we've got it pretty easy these days, communications-wise. We're definitely living in a globalized age and it's made life much easier. I can't imagine being a Peace Corps volunteer, whose postings are for two years in small villages and aren't allowed to speak to their friends and family for the first two months!

Yes, we're definitely roughing it, in the Dark Continent and - oh wait, I need to take this call...

No comments: