Monday, April 17, 2006

Any other year and I would be excited for Easter - family gatherings, great food, chocolate, the most upbeat church services of the year... However, I couldn't quite hope for all of that, being in Ghana. In fact, to avoid homesickness and Accra being even busier and evangelically-crazy than it normally would be (and because I needed a rest anyways), I tried to get as far away from the city as possible.

Eventually, I found the best place to be Lake Bosumtwi, ironically close to Kumasi. A week ago I couldn't imagine myself going back, but there I was in Kejetia Market with Hannah, trying to find our way to the lake, 30km south of the city. Getting there, we had to avoid sinister cab drivers and pay a questionable tourist tax.

And yet, as per usual, it was all worth it. The lake is surrounded by large, green forested hills and reminded me of Lake Okanagan in British Columbia. The difference? When you jump into Lake Bosumtwi, it's deliciously warm! That, and no Ogopogo, although an Akan god may live in it, which would explain why canoes are forbidden on the lake.

The place, Rainbow Garden Paradise Guesthouse, was a bit pricey, but the people were friendly, the food was good and the scenery was great. Not only that, but they had a dog named Johnny B. Good and a brand new puppy! Needless to say, I was quite happy there.

The sunsets were great there as well. On Holy Saturday night, we saw a brilliant orange moon rising over the hills and on Easter Sunday night, there was a loud and brilliant, although harmless thunderstorm, both of which made for a great backdrop for conversation with an Austrian school volunteer and a British doctor working in Sierra Leone.

All that and I broke my Lenten fast with a large Club beer. And a well-deserved one at that. A Happy Easter, indeed.

No comments: