Sunday, April 02, 2006

Pumping Iron... Illegally!

To prepare for the upcoming landscaping work season this summer, I've started weight training at the gym (see Dad, I am serious!). As much walking and running as I have been doing in the last 7 1/2 months, my muscles have probably turned to fufu and it's time to get back in "work" mode. After all, there will be life after Africa, and it will require a lot more money.

Enter the gym. I've commenced working out 2-3 times per week, adding yet more stuff to my already busy schedule. Lisa, who is a part-time personal trainer and is fit as a fiddle, has started me on a routine that will transform me from my current girlie-man status to that of a hulk. And an incredible one at that.

The problem with this foolproof strategy is that they just jacked up the price of membership at the gym, so a month would cost about $70 - which is more than I've paid for just about anything here, let alone for a gym in Canada. Thus, I'm illegally using the gym for my own benefit. I'll be paying the single-entry fee of $9 occassionally, but just to keep them from getting suspicious. Yes, I live a dangerous life. But this is Africa. And sometimes you've just got to take chances.

No comments: