Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Riverboat Nightmare

Apparently I'm good at avoiding disaster. In addition to last week's smoking tro-tro incident, word has come that a boat sank in Lake Volta, where I recently had my own pleasure cruise.

There were up to 150 people on the boat and so far 30 have been rescued. The article in the BBC claims, "A team investigating the accident described the Volta Lake transport system as a death trap because of obstacles such as trees and rocks." (I couldn't agree more.)

You definitely don't run into these kids of problems in Canada. It will be strange to think that when I take public transportation back home, I won't have to wonder if I will be witness to great tragedy on a daily basis. One only needs to look at the scores of accidents on the Accra-Kumasi highway to see how dangerous it really is to get around West Africa.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, that's it mister. No more adventures for you. Please.

-GK

Mr. Obruni said...

Damn you and your Western oppression!

Besides, I've only got a month left. I don't have TIME for adventures.