Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Classes and Hockey and Nigerian Tourists... oh crap!

This week is my first week of real classes. Last week was the official "first week", but it's an unwritten rule that neither the students nor the professors go to classes. Methinks it's an elaborate joke played on the white international students who walk cluelessly into empty lecture halls and sit around, waiting for class to start, wondering if they're in the right room.

Anyways, so far, I've had Theories of Social Development, which is a giant 4th year class and may be a waste of my time, since I probably know most of them. The other, which I am very excited about, is Elementary Arabic. I'm one of the only white students in the class, but I'm catching on quickly to pronunciations and the Arabic alphabet (which is something completely different) and plus the prof already likes me. It carries the load of two regular classes, so there's a large committment, but I'll be able to count it as a development credit, so it goes towards my major. (Why Twi, the local language and much more practical, isn't counted, is baffling to me. All of the American students are taking it.)


Waking up this morning was a strange affair. At about 8am, there was the sound of many people milling about, talking loudly. I walked out of my room and found myself surrounded by Nigerians students who were apparently on a field trip of sorts. They all gathered around me to take big group pictures and asked me for my e-mail and phone number, like I was some kind of celebrity. The same happened to Liu, a soft-spoken student from China. It was like we walked into somebody's high school graduation or something! Anyways, I ducked out quickly for some breakfast in the kitchen downstairs and they were gone quickly, which suited me fine.


Been reading the news today. Televangelist and onetime presidential candidate Pat Robertson said that the US government should assassinate Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez. There's American moral values and Christian ethics in action. Man, did the Bush administration drop him like he was hot, or what?... Uganda is under fire for mismanaging AIDS prevention funding. It's an interesting case there, one for another time... The Senators traded Hossa and de Vries for Danny Heatley. Next year is going to be a good season. Anyways, it's lunchtime and I'm going to go for some red-red (beans and fried plantain).

Yum.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike,

I'm following your blog with much interest. It's fascinating reading your experiences while I sit in my comfy office raging against the Ontario provincial government. Somehow I think the beaurocracy that you're experiencing is much worse than what I deal with. So - thanks for making my day!

Great to keep up with your adventure through this site!

Keep safe.

Elizabeth Schreurs

Anonymous said...

Hey,

Enjoy your classes, man...Intro Arabic! Holy cow, that's ambitious.

Hahaha, I'm tellin' ya, you Obrunis should sell tickets. "See the amazing powder-faced men, MARVEL at their obvious deficiencies in Vitamin D!*aaaaaaah!*"

The scary thing about the whole Robertson affair is that evangelical Protestantism (particularly of the arch-conservative variety) is spreading like wildfire in South America, so I wouldn't be surprised if more than a few Venezuelans took that idiot seriously and things started heating up again. At least he's getting a good tallywhacking over it. Remember kids...Feminism leads to witchcraft!

Can I go ahead with the liner notes? Going once, going twice...

I finally wrote my reply to Thunder Road, an idea that predates my respect for Bruce Springsteen. I think it's pretty cool, a clunker here and there, but nothing that can't be fixed. When my microphone is working again, I'll lay it down and post it somewhere....Have you been playing at all?

Cheers,

GK

Mr. Obruni said...

Elizabeth - ah bureaucracy... it's funny how you say it. I mean, can a private company rage against the public sector? I'm sure you'd love to hear my opinions on SNC-Lavalin. Thanks for reading!

Geoffy - Evangelical protestantism is a little different in South America, as I understand it to be. And I think that in Venezuela it's not so much the people in the pews who support Robertson as much as the elite business interests. (remember, the ones who tried to overthrow Chavez in a coup?)

I'll e-mail you back promptly. A reply to Thunder Road? That deserves a Paris Hilton "hot". Oh, I've got some ideas up my sleeve...