Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Live from Accra: pt. 2

I woke up the second morning at six AM, disturbed by the cleaning ladies who were gabbing loudly in Twi. Sadly, my open-concept residence allows for sound to travel quite freely. That wasn't the worst of it: the night before at 12:30, a rooster started crowing. I made a solemn vow to eat him later.

Excited for my first day on campus, I woke Joe up an hour early, to which he was not amused, so I went downstairs to the kitchen, where a few ladies prepare fresh breakfast. Ghanaian pancakes and syrup are terribly sweet.

The campus itself is a sprawling institution, with one long main street leading up the hill to the bell tower and many confusing sidestreets. Every building is identical: whitewashed walls and clay tiled rooves.

Aside from the buildings, I am just about the only other white object on campus. Along with my international friends, I am one of under 200 white students on a campus of almost 30,000. Joe and Jon helped me change money as well as register with the university and get my student card. (Many thanks unto them.)

Night fell, and as appears to be the custom, we went to the Lizzy Ent. club, which is pretty much a giant patio with a DJ. We had a beer, talked politics and decided to head elsewhere. The intrepid Joseph heard about a Rastafarian beach that had drumming, so we went to the beach. It looked sketchy, to say the least. Even our cab driver, Godwin, was telling us that it was a bad idea. So he took us to a dance club elsewhere. To thank him, we brought him with us and bought him a beer. Two hours later we were dancing and talking about Ghanaian life, philosophy and God. I found it gave me great perspective on things to hear all of this from a native. To recount our conversation would be a post in itself, so perhaps another time...

Peace, love and understanding,
Mr. Obruni

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

INTENSE!

Anonymous said...

Thats was me! -Rick