Tuesday, January 17, 2006

The Forecast for Today is Sunny with a High of 36 Degrees and a 100% Chance of Dust

On closer inspection of my sunburn from yesterday, spending seven hours walking around Ouagadougou was probably not the brightest ideas. Nevertheless I shall persevere.

Ouaga has been rather kind to me so far. I have had some great food, internet access and have ran into some interesting characters. For example, yesterday morning I strolled on down into the Malian Embassy for a visa and who do I spot being pestered by some strange man? Hannah, of course! She obviously has been kicking around town for a while, since embassies are closed for weekends). The visa process took all of 15 minutes, (a record!) so we spent most of the day walking around finding buses to Bamako and looking for the non-existent tourist office. She had to go, but thankfully the good people at the Canadian Embassy gave me a helping hand. I spent last night hunting mosquitos, reading and having a delicious steak dinner. Then I quietly snuck up to the roof of the Auberge et Zem.Batik Windga (recommended) and beheld Ouaga under a full moon waning. Lovely.

Anyhoo, I have some final business to attend to and then I will be taking the overnight bus to Bamako, where hopefully I will be able to contact the friend of Joe who is letting us sleep on her floor for the next few days. I am not sure of the internet situation in Mali (I have been quite lucky here), so I shall see you around the bend. Cheers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike,

It really is a small world. I bet Hannah was happy to see you. Good luck with your bus trip and connecting with your friends.

Love,
Y.M.