Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Green Turtle Lodge

Okay, if Volta Region is my second home here in Ghana, I think I've found my third one: Green Turtle Lodge in Busua.

Getting to the lodge requires a minimum of three changes of transportation (eg. to get there it was taxi, bus, tro-tro, tro-tro) and a full day of travel, since it's West of Takoradi and near the border of Cote d'Ivoire - but it's all worth it. A relaxing resort with great food and people, ping-pong, foosball, a pool table, swinging hammocks - oh, and the most quiet and pristine beaches in the country. Wow.

To be there was to be a world away from the hustle and bustle of dirty, dusty Accra. The place is quiet, clean and eco-friendly (hello compost toilets and solar panels) and cheap, so it's perfect for hippie-backpackers. I spent the whole time reading (I finished Michael Crichton's Timeline, which was a historical blast and have started Africa Must Unite) and playing on the beach. The tide was pretty strong, as is the nature of the Gulf of Guinea, but we got to ride the waves with boogieboards and hey - the beach wasn't full of trash! Amazing!

If I can get a few days off between exams, I'll be there, undoubtedly. It makes Kokrobite look like - well, I won't say anything bad, since I'll probably be there again sometime as well. But damn, I can't wait to be there again...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike,
Your dad and moi checked out the website for this place and it looked really great. Had we but known, we might have come to visit after all! Then you could have come to the Green Turtle lodge every weekend to visit us.

Y.M.

Blogger said...

Here's how to cut your electric bill by 75%:

Want to know how to easily produce all of the green energy you could ever want right at home?

And you will be able to make your home totally immune from power outages, blackouts, and energy grid failures
so even if everyone else in your area (or even the whole country) loses power you won’t.

VISIT THIS SITE: DIY HOME ENERGY

Blogger said...

There is a chance you're qualified for a new government sponsored solar program.
Click here to find out if you qualify now!