Saturday, May 13, 2006

Out Of The Frying Pan...

I found my seat, much to Lisa's relief and walked up to her nonchalantly with Akwaaba-stick in hand. I probably said something witty, like they do in the movies when someone arrives unexpectedly. The plane took off promptly.

And what a plane it was! We were flying a brand-spankin' new 777, with spacious cabins (but not seats) and personal tvs embedded in the back of every seat, with the viewer controlling everything by remote - movies, tv shows video games and CDs, all on demand! I was so culture-shocked that I sat there for the first half-hour like a four-year old with my jaw hanging wide open.

It was almost too much, like they had broken the unspoken rule of air travel: you are supposed to be at least somewhat bored. You're supposed to at least have enough time to make you want to read the safety card - you know, just in case. Instead, I had to actually make a plan for what I was going to watch and when I was going to watch it!

And then there was Lisa and my goal: to get totally trashed on free drinks. That didn't take long. We had wine with dinner and Irish creme afterwards and we were sloshed in no time. We made observational humour, laughed at our stupid jokes and probably annoyed our new Chicago-bound friend named Chester. A few hours later, I fell asleep while watching Casablanca. Nice one.

Blinking lights on the airplane wings
Up above the trees
Blinking down a morse code signal
Especially for me

Ain't no rainbow in the sky
In the middle of the night
But the signal's coming through
One day i will be alright again

-The Eels

No comments: