Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Total Eclipse of the Heart - Er, Sun


This morning would have been pretty average for a Wednesday if it had not been for a total solar eclipse in coastal Ghana. For almost two months, posters around Accra warned that the eclipse was not a sign of angry gods or the Apocalypse, but a natural phenomenon (as my good friend Rick would be able to tell you). They also advertised 3D-esque eclipse-viewing glasses, which sold out days ahead of the event. (Yet another brilliant business idea that will never come to fruition)

I was awoken this morning by the screams of girls in the hostel. I noticed it was dim outside. "How terrible, it's cloudy, right before the eclipse." Actually, it WAS the eclipse. I went out to my balcony with Jessee (we're kinda like Tim and Wilson from Home Improvement in that way) and we observed the earth, as it quickly became very dark. Then we observed the blotted-out sun (for about .2 seconds) and sang some Pink Floyd. Soon, the sunlight returned and Accra, which undoubtedly had stopped moving for a good four minutes, returned to normal. Far out.


All that is now
All that is gone
All that's to come
And everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike,
As soon as I saw the photos in the Star, I thought of Dark Side of The Moon too, only I was thinking of the line from 'Brain Damage', not the song Eclipse.Too weird

Y.M.

Mr. Obruni said...

That's a great one too. I was thinking of the video at the end of "Eclipse", when the climax shows an actual eclipse. Check out dad's "Making of Dark Side" DVD for it.