Saturday, April 22, 2006

Down With The Sickness - Two Nights at the Nyaho

Thursday evening, walking by Meghan's room, I came upon her being huddled in blankets, shivering and delirious. She had a wicked fever and considering that two weeks ago, she had malaria, it sounded like the virus strikes back. So Lisa and I took her to the Nyaho private medical clinic, because private = better care, right? Yeah right. That's what they WANT you to think.


The nurses were less than cheerful or considerate ("So, which one of you is sick?") and the night doctor - intern is more like it - seemed rather clueless as to the situation at hand (Lisa dubbed him Doogie Howser, which was rather apt). For some reason, he wanted to run a bunch of tests despite the ailment clearly being malaria. Her test came back negative, but since the test isn't reliable anyways, she should still be treated for it. Somehow we got out of there in the early morning after lots of arguing, an IV, a prescription and a number of visits to the pharmacist (probably Doogie's little brother). We even got a ride home from a Lebanese family who I helped out, since they spoke little English (Level 100 Arabic student to the rescue!). Being sandwiched between three large Lebanese men in the back seat of a Toyota is something I'll have to add to my list of life's experiences.

That evening I had experienced some stomach pain and fatigue and when I woke up on Friday morning, I had chills, dizzyness, aches everywhere and other sexy ailments that kept me in bed for the day. Looks like my plans for one last visit to Green Turtle Lodge were dashed. Lisa monitored me and after my temperature hit almost 39 degrees all signs pointed to more malaria, so she took me to the Nyaho.

People were friendlier there during the day (apparently they only come out at night) and it seemed like everything would go smoother. My malaria test came back negative, of course. Then we waited for the doctor to give us his esteemed opinion. It got dark then. We should have known better. Quite cold and uncaring, he heard my story and after much thought decided that I should stay the night (big $) to get an IV and more tests...

But wouldn't that take just a few hours?
Well, yes.
So couldn't I just get those done and go home tonight?
It's possible, yes.
Then the nurse came in and informed him that the ward was full and there were no spare beds.
Alright then, I'll just write you a prescription and you can go home.

Incredible. You must be Doogie Sr. It took that long just to get the prescription that we wanted. He also wanted me to take some weird tests that would end up costing more money. That's the vibe I get at this place: they just want you to spend as much money as possible, whether it be for a bed, more tests, consultation fees or whatever else. Being here really makes me really appreciate the high-quality public healthcare that we enjoy in Canada. Being sick away from home is no picnic, as I learned last time around and having to cut through so much administrative crap. Three weeks left until I get back and I can't wait. I know Meghan can't either.

No comments: