Sunday, August 28, 2005

"Having An Average Weekend"

Well, after last weekend's exciting (and somewhat exhorbitantly expensive) trip to Cape Coast and Kakum, I decided to stay in this weekend and find out what goes on at the Hostel when the work week ends...

The answer of course is absolutely nothing. The reason is because everyone leaves on weekends and goes on adventures. The Carleton girls (Adrienne, Hannah, Lisa and Meghan) and Katherine from UNC went for an overnight trip, but I was looking for something more. On the upside, Meaghan (note the added "a") from Virginia and I have decided to make a 4-day trip to the Lake Volta region of the country, which is in the East, near the Togolese border. There will be monkeys, kente cloth weaving and perhaps a neat little eco-tourist village. I'm counting the days.

In the meantime, I didn't go out on Friday in anticipation of Saturday and nobody went out on Saturday, so at least I'm saving money. I'm kicking around residence finding things to do. Most people are out, so I've been doing a lot of reading and guitar playing, which is good for the soul. On Saturday afternoon I went out to the rugby pitch with Carrie, a scrumhalf from Chico State in California. We played touch rugby with an impatient Englishman and a bunch of confused Ghanaians. I didn't last long, since I don't run much, but I plan on giving it my all next weekend.

Otherwise, I found a Catholic Church (it's only a skeleton, since it's under construction, but they still decorated it and held mass), talked to my parents on the phone for a bit and ineptly handwashed some clothes. Last night I sat around with Leila and Hilde, two Norwegian girls, sharing a bottle of wine and waiting for something to happen. I showed them the photo album from home that Maleaha made. They agree that she is very cute and I am very lucky to have her. I agree.

Anyways, I'm told that some Americans are going to make grilled cheese sandwiches. And it'll be a cold day in Accra when I pass up on an opportunity like that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

do me a favour Mike..
START HANGING OUT WITH MORE BOYS!!! jackass.

Mr. Obruni said...

Yes, dear.

Anonymous said...

Im coming over for a drink. Dont be rough with any packages in the mail. - Rick