Saturday, August 13, 2005

Onwards!


So I made it to the University. Here's how it went down:

PEARSON
Saying goodbye to the parents was tough. Then I waited around for a few hours. KLM prides itself on being "the reliable airline", yet it was 4 hours late. On the upside, I traveled in a 747. I sat next to a Canadian woman of German descent and we discussed the ghettoization of immigrant cultures. Consider Chinese immigrants flocking to Unionville, Turks in Germany or Muslims in the Netherlands. (sidenote: apparently the world's largest mosque is in Rotterdam) Did I mention the flight was all you can drink? A glass of white wine and a blanket over my head put me out for a few hours. I awoke to breakfast and Amsterdam.

SCHIPOL
I had only 3 hours in the airport, but I made the most of it. It is smaller than Pearson, but has a lot more stuff to do. The flight to Accra was quite lovely. We flew over France, Ibiza, the Medditerranean and Algeria, so I got to see the Sahara from 35,000, which is a lovely sight. My neighbour on this flight was a seemingly paranoid New Yorker who works for the United Nations in Liberia. I asked her about what the work was like. She said, "Sometimes it's satisfying, sometimes it's frustrating." I'm sure she has many interesting stories.

KOTOKA
Accra from the plane at night looks like any city, but the airport was an awakening to the realities of the third world. Accra is very different from what I imagined it to be. There are walls everywhere in place of fences, the buildings are very peculiar and the taxi drivers are crazy. My first ride in a Ghanaian taxi was exhilirating.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey man! Good to know you got through Day 1...

a)Well, if YOU worked for the UN in Liberia, wouldn't you be paranoid?

b) I will probably have to see it to believe it; "Cosmopolitan Africa" just doesn't register an image in my brain. I did naively think it would be called Jerry Rawlings Airport, but I guess that would be too cliched, and perhaps a little out of fashion. lol.

c) " Are we going through that underbrush?"
"Dis de main road".
"Oh".
BA-ZING.

Hell, *Quebec* taxi cabs are scary enough, I can't even imagine....Is the campus fairly removed from the city propper?

d) When do you start school? And what do they do for Frosh Week in Ghana?

5: I read the email frrom that Brian guy...A lounge version of Freshman's Waltz? I could see it.

Baseball was a pretty thin turnout this week...We played a couple innings ( alas, I was replaced again as umpire for gross incompetence... oh well) then everbody just hit flies and grounders. Saturday night was a small, chill gathering at Casa de Courtney. York, Warren, and Morgan got into some more neigbour-irritating hyjinx early in the morning.

Talk to ya soon dude! Have a great (and safe!) time taking it all in.

Cheers,
Geoff

Anonymous said...

MAN! That sounds sooo intense! Glad to hear your alright. Send me a 6-dollar AK-47. Please. :)

-Rick

Mr. Obruni said...

a) totally... it's not a coincidence that they sent in a New Yorker. They bust the heads.

b)I haven't heard anything about Rawlings, or even Kofi Annan. However, Kwame Nkumra, the first president, is the shit in Ghana.

c) I will post later on the cabbies. Yeah, the campus is in Legon, which is like a suburb north of central Accra

d) haha we have no orientation here... school started "officially" on monday, but the profs don't even come to the first classes, so it's a write off.

e) I'm awaiting Richard Cheese's call

York, Morgan and Warren bothering the neighbours? Say it ain't so!


Rick: your wish is my command