Friday, January 13, 2006

Settling In... Sort Of

Thankfully, when I returned to the hostel, Meghan, Hannah and Jon were sitting around waiting for me to come home. (Either that, or waiting for their soup to cook - you make the call) It was good to see familiar faces, because the hostel was still otherwise empty and it would be a pretty lonely night on my lonesome. Not having a room of my own, I slept in Lisa's bed (don't worry, she was in South Africa at the time) and slept soundly.

The next day, I got my room situation figured out and guess what: I got my single room and it's in the same building just a floor below! That was fantastic news for my troubled soul. I acquired my key, moved my junk in and started cleaning and customizing it all myself. I can't describe how great it feels to finally have a space to call my own after 5 months of living in shared rooms and beds. I could see things were looking up from there...

That night, being Meghan, Jon and Hannah's last night in Accra (the irst two to Egypt and Morocco and the latter to Burkina and Mali) we went to the Living Room for a movie. They didn't have "Casablanca" - those philistines.

Since then, it's been a lot of running around, getting my stuff together and preparing to leave Accra yet again. On Saturday the 14th, I'm taking the bus North to Ouagadougou in Burkina Faso and then, once I get my visa, onwards to Bamako, Mali to meet with Joe and Matt, who have been trekking around West Africa since early December. Their beards will be rather large by now, I believe.

What else? Ben, Alanna and Mel (all veterans from last semester) took me out for another movie night - one featuring a former ISH resident in an curious walk-on role and when we returned, there are new people! All right - fresh meat!

Just kidding. I've already met some cool characters (and even took Reuben from South Carolina on his first tro-tro ride) and I'm sure there will be many more by the time I get back. Until then, it's one more wild and crazy adventure! I'll try and keep basic info posted, but like the ever-delayed journal of Togo and Benin (which will be shared someday, I swear), good things will have to come in time...

Cheers!

No comments: