Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Limping Towards The Finish Line

Every time I think about back home
It's cool and breezy
I wish that I could be there right now
Just passing time

Everybody seems to wonder
What it's like down here
I gotta get away from this day-to-day running around
Everybody knows this is nowhere

-Neil Young

So I finished the dreaded Written Arabic exam. I think it went alright, but it's mostly just nice to have it out of the way, after having it hang over my head like the rainclouds that we should be getting here these days. It's still bloody hot outside.

Being only three days away from departure, one would think that I (and my friends) would be going out every night, trying to fit in all of the fun that I can while I'm in Accra. Instead, somehow I've managed to spend the day siting around the hostel, sleeping, avoiding studying, eating yam chips and watching old concert videos of Janis Joplin and the Grateful Dead (Jessee's brother mailed him the Festival Express DVD). Could I possibly think of a more dull way to spend my final days?

Probably not. But at this point, we're all tired and ready to call it a year. We don't feel like experiencing many things Ghanaian, because we're gearing up in "Western" mode and we don't feel like going out to dinner, because the places that we eaet at are mostly substitutes for things that we have at home. Indian, Chinese, Lebanese and even Ethiopian can be found where we will be returning, so what's the point?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well Mike,

You can get ALMOST everything back home, but I haven't seen yam chips at the Garbage Basket this week. And yes, there are duller things you could be doing; you could be watching Barry Manilow instead of a bunch of dead rockers. 3 more sleeps!
Y.M.