Monday, May 08, 2006

Only In Dreams

At this point, I only have a fuzzy feeling of what Canada is like. I can remember in my mind what things look like, but not really about the way things smell (better than open sewers and burning garbage, I hope) or how things taste (save for waffles) or how things feel, like a comfortable bed or my dog's fur.

I had this problem when I first arrived in Ghana. When I woke up, I was so disoriented and thought I had been living in a dreamworld and that when I awoke, I'd be in my bed in Markham, just like always. Soon Markham became the far-off dreamy place. Simon and Garfunkel said it perfectly in America when they sang, "Michigan seems like a dream to me now"...

When I got to London, things were so different (and developed!) and in a few days, it was Ghana that felt like a faraway dreamland thousands of miles away (well, physically, it was).

When I returned, the feeling came back, again, for Ireland as the magical dreamland that I awoke from - on a bus headed towards Mali!

It's going to be especially strange to think that in six days, I won't wake up with people talking loudly outside my door in Twi, eat fresh bananas, mangoes and pineapple for breakfast and go out walking in the scorching sun to the road to squeeze in a packed, sweaty deathtrap tro-tro. That too will become a distant memory...

Far out, man.

No comments: