Monday, December 05, 2005

"B" is for Books I Shouldn't Be Reading Right Now.

I spent most of today downtown riding tro-tros and running errands in preparation for the fast-approaching travel season. I had many important things to attend to, but what did I do? I went to a second-hand bookstore and bought some books! I picked up Primary Colors, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil and Michael Crichton's Timeline - all for about $10. Unfortunately, I have found Primary Colors to be much more engaging than my notes for Management of NGOs, whose exam is tomorrow morning at 7:30. Yikes.

Call me the Bookie Monster, but I've actually read quite a bit this semester, mostly due to the large amounts of waiting for things to happen and extra time in general. Here's a list of what I've been reading:

-Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe - a gift from Dave (thanks!) and an excellent introduction to colonialism.
-Fall on Your Knees by Anne Marie MacDonald - great historical Canadian fiction. Like Anne of Green Gables, but a lot raunchier.
-The Bookseller of Kabul by Asne Seierstad - Afghanistan never looked so bleak!
-Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger - a must-read for confused teenagers everywhere.
-Arrow of God by Chinua Achebe

Anyways, back to the books...

No comments: